Overview of The Race and Social Justice Initiative’s Student Leadership Award:
As part of our commitment to student development, The Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) grants the Student Leadership Award to six deserving applicants every academic semester. The Student Leadership Award was created as a means to foster systemic change across The College of Charleston campus and greater Lowcountry community. The RSJI Student Leadership Award is a $600.00 travel and research stipend awarded to student leaders who recognize the importance of social justice activism and who are driven to become organizers of change. Applicants are required to write a proposal, which will be reviewed by the RSJI team, detailing their unique travel and research projects. At the conclusion of the funding semester, each award recipient will present their findings at the Student Leadership Award Symposium.
Click here to view profiles of our 2018-2019 winners!
Award Description and Qualifications:
- Available to current College of Charleston Undergraduate and Graduate Students.
- Total amount awarded is $600.00 per recipient.
- Link to application.
- Submissions Open: November 6, 2018 |12:00 PM
- Submission Deadline: December 10, 2018|11:59 PM
- Award Notifications: January 2, 2019
- Disbursement of Funds: January 28, 2019
**Awardees are required to present on their work at the RSJI Student Leaders Award Symposium on April 23, 2019**
Proposal Description and Criteria:
- Proposals should include the following components: a clear abstract of the project, a statement of need (how RSJI funds will be allocated if awarded the SLA), a detailed description of the project, and a final statement outlining how the project will advance and support the social activism climate on The College of Charleston campus or in the greater Lowcountry community.
- Proposals must make mention of The State of Racial Disparities in Charleston County, South Carolina 2000–2015 report conducted by the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture.
- All proposals should be at minimum one (1) page in length
- All proposals must be submitted using PDF format.
- Proposals should be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org by December 10, 2018, at 11:59 pm.
- For examples of past proposals, see those linked under the “Past Winners” section of this webpage.
For more information on the award, please contact Daron Lee Calhoun II at email@example.com or 843.953.7612.
David Rothmund (MA History)
Click here to view David’s proposal: David Rothmund Student Leadership Award Proposal.
Cora Webb (Public Health, Women’s and Gender Studies)
Click here to view Cora’s proposal: Cora Webb Student Leadership Award Proposal.